Digital Nomad Life Lessons
Being the youngest of three sons I believe is the reason for being so loud and confident. But throughout my life like everyone I have learnt many life lessons. When you are younger you hear your parents tell you these things but take them with a pinch of salt. I have compiled a list of lessons I personally have learnt along the way below.
1. Take Action – This certainly has to be my #1 life lesson and for more information on this then read this article which covers a lot of reasons why people fail and mainly to do with the fact that they take zero action
2. Spend Money on Memories – I am a huge believer that the most valuable asset in life is your memories. People can spend millions on materialistic products but the memories on the death bed are what you truly remember.
3. Develop and Improve – Show me a fully satisfied person and I will show you failure. There is no such thing as 10/10 in my opinion. We can all develop and improve and for our sanity and life goals we should look to improve in all walks of life. It does not matter how old you are as you should always be improving. If you are not improving yourself then are you being lazy?
4. Friends and Family – Surround yourself by loads of friends and family. The more friends the better because it means more different experiences but keep your best mates and family close because they will be there in all situations. I wrote how networking was important in business but this also applies to personal lifestyles also.
5. Play a Team Sport – Whether this is football, rugby, netball or whatever you decide. Being part of a team sport will give you the laughter and fun as a team. The exercise is great for health benefits but for me the banter is the real reason why it has so many benefits because it gives you the social side of life which will create you so many happy memories.
6. Health is Wealth – Your health is who you are and who you will become. Eat nice healthy food and exercise daily. When young you feel you can eat whatever you want but in later life this catches up with you. Make sure you live your life so your tomorrow self will be happy of what you did the previous day. Neglect your health and energy levels will drop and your whole life will change as health is the engine behind who you will become.
7. Learn a Martial Art – Great for conditioning and health benefits again. But the reason for learning martial arts is the respect it generates, building your concentration levels and discipline in focusing your mind. Oh and obviously helps you in self defence situations.
8. Be Proud of You – We are all unique human beings but do not chase your life trying to be someone you are not. Be yourself and proud of who you are instead of leading life a lie. Your friends, your teachers, your parents and family all have expectations of you but just be yourself. Do not try to live a life someone else would like you to be because that might not make you happy. You are awesome and have your own qualities no one else in this world has as you are unique. Here is an introduction to myself.
9. Choose your Own Path – Let close friends and family advise you on best practices but you are responsible solely for your own path in your career, health and happiness. Choose your own path as it is your life. I absolutely love and enjoy networking, SEO and travelling so becoming a digital nomad was a no brainer for me because included all three of these things.
10. Treat People How You Want to be Treated – Ironically people start to change their attitude towards you when you begin treating them the way they treat you. There are a few great quotes I love on this life lesson.
11. Focus on Solutions Not Problems – Identify your problems but give your power and energy to solutions. Too many complain and waste time whining instead of accepting the problem and quickly finding a solution. Here is an article I highly recommend everyone to read about how to face your problems with solutions because if you focus all your ideas and energy into solutions then all the problems will make you the person you are today. Play the cards you are dealt the best you can and learn from all the mistakes along the way.
12. Think BIG – You really are capable of so much more than you can imagine. Chase your goals and set them high. You will be surprised how much you can achieve if you believe in yourself. Do not set your goals too small because you are capable of so much more. I love the quote “Think big, believe big, act big and the results will be big”
13. Surround Yourself with Positivity – You’re a product of your environment so surround yourself with the best. Positivity breeds positivity so hanging around successful folk and happy people is key. Influence your family and close friends because a rising tide lifts all ships so your attitude can help others around you succeed.
14. People Come and Go – This could be university friends you lose touch with as you move back home. Or it could be loved ones who pass away. As awful as this sounds but we all are going to die. Instead of constantly feeling upset a close family member or friend has passed away then celebrate their life. Have you ever watched X Factor and seen all the sob stories people come out with thinking they are unfortunate. The fact is it’s going to happen to us all so are you going to waste your life away moaning or be positive and make them proud looking down on you. You need to learn how to let go as hard as it might feel.
15. Learn to Forgive Yourself – You are probably your own harshest critic. Do not beat yourself up and be your own personal enemy. You will make many mistakes and if you cannot forgive yourself how can you expect others too. Be kind and caring to your inner self because you can then look to make amends or get back quickly to your positive attitude. Learn from it and analyse if you have done something wrong but quickly forgive yourself and move on. There is no sense in punishing your future for the mistakes in the past.
16. Travel the World – Have you truly experienced life and seen the wonders of the world? Have you experienced the different cultures? You will be amazed by the beauty of this living world and you will grow your knowledge and memories massively from doing this.
17. Gratitude – Be grateful for what you have in life. Even if you think your life is shit be grateful because someone is certainly struggling more than you on earth. Do you have a roof over your head, two arms, two legs, fresh tap water, hearing, sight or none of these. Unless you literally have not got any of these mentioned then stop not feeling grateful. Expect nothing and appreciate absolutely everything. We are so lucky to be alive so cherish every breath we take on earth.
18. Loyalty Over Greed – Be loyal and fight the greedy guy from inside of us all. Loyalty is a huge attribute I expect from all my friends and business partners. I was grown up with the ethics and morale to be loyal. You will encounter many times in life where you can get financial gains by not being loyal but this falls under the ‘treat others how you want to be treated’ How would you feel is a close friend was not loyal? Do not betray a friend or human being for personal gains otherwise karma will come back to bite you in the ass. Be loyal and not greedy.
19. Fail Regularly – This might seem a strange one to put down but it is so true. Failure in life is inevitable if you truly push yourself to your limits. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default. You can’t be paralysed by fear of failure or you will never push yourself.
20. Work Hard but Play Harder – Grafting in work is an absolute given. The harder you work the more successful financially you will be but have a fine balance in life. If you do not play harder you will struggle to grow your friendships, to travel so much and create all those awesome memories. I certainly play very hard because for me life is about living so what makes me happy is banter, laughing, experiencing new adventures my playtime is when I create my best memories.
21. Don’t Be Judgemental – Do not judge a book by its cover. You will be surprised in ife what you get out of everyone you meet. I have heard stories of a homeless guy on the streets giving his last dollar to somehow who need to catch the bus. That act of kindness is unreal and similar story here which went viral about a tramp giving a student £3 to get a taxi home safely. Don’t base your opinion on someone by their appearance and try to learn something from absolutely everybody.
22. Patience is a Virtue – Patience is not the ability to wait, but it is the ability to keep a positive attitude while waiting. Patience is not a skill but is a decision. Our inner self decides to get annoyed and one of my weaknesses certainly is not being patient enough. Like the attitude to not give up then you need to remember the best things in life are worth waiting for. Try to improve and develop yourself to become more patient for your own self being.
23. Break The Rules – I do not mean break the law but breaking the rules. There are too many rules in life and if you are too well behaved and don’t break the rules you will never be a maverick or true original. Here is a great video from Arnold Schwarznegger about breaking the rules.
24. You Cannot Please Everyone – Grow thick skinned for certain situations you will encounter. As we are all unique we all have different opinions naturally. Do not chase to please everyone because it is impossible and reverts back to being proud of who you are. Competitors, jealousy and others will not like you or make an opinion on who you are without even knowing you as an individual but be hard skinned to understand this instead of fighting it. “The People who Matter Dont Mind, and The People who Mind Dont Matter”. There will be times certain folk in life are selfish or have a hidden agenda. I wrote an article about how wasted time is worse than wasted money because you need to quickly weed out the people in life who will not make you happy so more time can be spent with loved ones.
25. Question Everything – Never believe something without testing or seeing it for yourself. Too many times in life we take everything for granted when actually we should create our own opinion from experiences. Obviously seek advice but then check this for yourself to develop your own thoughts on situations. Trust people but verify it.
26. Never Give Up – Too many people in life think of an idea then never see the whole idea through. They give up when being so close to something big or life changing for them. Focus your mind to complete tasks and do not jump from one minor task to another without finishing any.
27. Time Flies – If you do not live for today and make the most of your time before you know it then you will wonder where your time went. A great video from a friend I met in Chiang Mai named Diggy shows his life lessons here. This video is superb and the reason I liked it so much was because I could relate to all his opinions. He also finishes this video with how time flies.
28. Delegate Work – When you travel and meet other digital nomads you start to realise so many of these have read the amazing books like the 4 hour work week and the emyth revisited which are possibly the best books I have ever read. These teach you techniques to stop getting yourself bogged down on day to day running of your businesses. I wrote an article about working on your business and not in it which explains the reasoning why delegation is key. We all have 24 hours in a day and are restricted to this so there is only so much you can physically do yourself. Hence the reason delegation of works is a real key to success and many entrepreneurs struggle to let go but this struggle will always hold them back from further growth.
I hope to add many more life lessons onto this article as I experience them. I am sure there is some I have missed off this list so please comment below on life lessons you have learnt and if I can relate to this then will add onto the blog. Hope you have enjoyed the read and i you can share that would be great thanks!!