Oh dear, all you SEO agencies get ready to change your industry because search engine optimisation is officially dead in 2017. Please adapt as soon as possible so me and all my mates in this niche can profit from lower competition haha.
Obviously SEO is not dead; this is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. If Google decided to completely take backlinks out of their algorithm (which they can never do) would SEO be dead then? Absolutely not. So why is this?
Well let’s break down what SEO actually stands for – search engine optimisation. If backlinks become less important in years to come which actually I think Google would like to do (even though their core algorithm needs this data to rank) then does that mean SEO is no longer needed? No, that is certainly not the case.
All it will mean is you need to optimise your websites slightly differently to rank. This might mean adding more content, better CTAs, better metrics on your site like bounce rate, and optimising your sites to what Google wants to see. So can everyone stop asking the question? As long as there is a search engine then optimising your website will always be needed.
What is the Future?
Now this is a much better question because yes I do believe SEO is evolving and becoming more difficult for sure. Gone are the days of keyword stuffing and blasting your sites with millions of backlinks – which is a shame because I made a lot of money from this. They were the glory days and within 3 months making 5-10k per month with very little work.
Guys let’s get straight to the point. Stop being so obsessed with individual keyword rankings. The more you are trying to optimise your websites for individual key phrases the more you will come across Google penalties in my opinion. That is because there is a great chance you will be over optimising your focus keywords and pretty much keyword stuffing without knowing. The more you will be hitting links with exact match for this, the more you are screaming to Google ‘look at my site, I want to rank for this keyword’ which will be over optimised and therefore tank.
The strategy we have adapted within my team is effective frequency which you can read more on here. Traffic is traffic at the end of the day and whether you generate this from SEO, PPC, Facebook or wherever else then this needs to be your main goal. It is the traffic that leads to more orders and the more orders which leads to you being paid more. It is NOT the rankings which pays you more!
Diversify Your Strategy
So let’s get started on a list below and answer honestly whether you are leveraging traffic from all these sources. Or are you just being narrow minded and trying to rank your website in the SERPs for those 10 keywords you have loaded into your rank tracker?
- Ranking your pages in the SERPs – not just Google but Bing and Yahoo as well
- Ranking your images in Google Images – this can drive you a lot of traffic and get you backlinks if bloggers decide they want to use your photo and credit the source
- Ranking your videos in YouTube – do not just upload and embed onto your website – optimise this video properly and try to rank the video in YouTube, Vimeo and Google search
- Hash Tags on Social Media – are you getting your statuses seen by your target audience and making the most of the hash tags?
- Retargeting on Facebook – setting up a pixel to your site to retarget on Facebook is massive because these are people who have been on your site and are a red hot potential lead
- Paid Ads – does your CPA or profit allow you to drive traffic from PPC or online ads because you need to drive as much traffic as possible from all angles)
- Traditional Marketing – billboards, TV ads, radio ads all still work well and if your budgets allow then it gets your brand out there
- Telephone Marketing – got a database of clients and thought of hiring a cold call centre to blast through this with calls to see whether they might be interested
- SMS Marketing – from the database blasting a text message campaign of a special offer
- Email Marketing – hitting their inboxes with updates, helpful information or last bonuses you might be able to offer still works well
Not saying your budgets could stretch to using all these methods above but effective frequency certainly works. It is still true where folk buy from trusted brands and many still do the 3 prong attack in traditional marketing where they believe until they have seen or heard about this offer 3 times they will not purchase. Hence the reason they do TV, radio, billboards in a mixture. Why not adapt this online and try to make sure your brand is seen on social media, web search, image search and places like this.
Hit me with a huge core algorithm update and this will only tank part of my traffic sources. Don’t throw your eggs all into one basket. By doing this you are actually spreading your optimisation online which will naturally attract links (check me out being a complete white hat goddess lol). No but folk crediting the source for your images, embedding your videos or linking to your amazing blog posts all will offer IP diversity in backlinks which is really the holy grail of ranking anyway.
White Hat Vs Black Hat SEO
Ok so now I have mentioned the white hat SEO approach which I have said is the future of online marketing then how can we adapt black hat or grey hat SEO into the mix? Do black hat techniques still have a part in developing an online strategy beyond 2017? Short answer to this is yes absolutely if utilised in the correct way.
So let’s talk dirty and talk how to utilise black hat tactics for your brand without being penalised or getting into any trouble. I would recommend the following:
- Use Automatic Social Bots – get a following on your social media and you can easily do this by tools which follow and unfollow accounts in your niche
- Buy Cheap Links to Social – for reputation management you want to rank all your social profiles also and as these have high domain authority can easily take a good link blast to improve their rankings for target keywords and brand name
- Strengthen Your Links – Google only has the patent to go two links deep so maybe link build a bit more loosely to your links that link to your links
- Tools for Outreach – there is many black hat tools to scrape emails and auto send to reporters to ask for mentions on topic related articles which might be sponsored but check the metrics and negotiate best rates with them
- Rent PBN Links or 301 quality dropping domains to send power – if any of these get hit then disavow or easily remove the backlinks
- IFTTT to Syndicate Content – not really a black hat trick but this tool can syndicate your new blog post to 40 web 2.0 branded profiles automatically
- Injected Links – depending how far you want to go with the black hat then you could buy SAPE links which inject links into hacked sites or buy a WordPress theme, inject a link into the code and update the theme so anyone who updates this using it on their site will have your link injected into their websites probably without them knowing
For myself I don’t do the last one but certainly use tools like IFTTT to syndicate content throughout the profiles and tools like Follow Liker to build followers, likes, shares on social media. Why not try to leverage any traffic there is in niche related Facebook groups, Tumblr feeds, subreddits and anywhere that is talking about the products or services that you offer.
This will future-proof your strategy with driving traffic which is what our end goal needs to be. Stop focusing just on SEO and think of the bigger picture on why you are doing this. Businesses pay for this to generate more sales and they need more sales by you driving them more traffic. The more places you can get your clients brand the more chances of attracting traffic and backlinks also. So I challenge you to stop calling your business an SEO Agency. Start calling yourself:
- Visibility Optimisation
- Traffic Source Optimisation
- Lead Generation Specialists
These are more important to you being narrow minded in ranking your main 10 keywords and worrying when the core algorithm updates. If you are serious about building your business then I suggest you take this mind shift to be one step ahead of the game. Always here to SYNERGISE and network guys because like all my mates know I love to travel and meet new folk in this niche. There is easily enough work for us all to profit and I would much prefer to be a happy millionaire with loads of mates around me doing awesome in business than a lonely billionaire who works all hours god sends, does not network or help others.
Money does not drive myself one bit and for myself it is all about the Journey. A rising tide lifts all ships and if I can help all my friends be successful, then for me I would get so much more satisfaction from that. I have met so many great friends from travelling the world being a digital nomad and if anyone wants to know more information on myself read these articles below: