The term ‘backlink’ is used to refer to a link which is placed on an external website which directs the user through to a page on your website when clicked.
Backlinks are a very important aspect to consider when you wish to rank higher than your competitors on Google.
The more links that lead to your site, the more popular it will appear in the search engine rankings. This means that having more backlinks that your competitors will often put you ahead of them in the search results.
Search engine algorithms are very clever in distinguishing whether the content on a particular site is worth reading and it will do this in a number of different ways. One of these is to determine the number of quality links that go through to pages on a site. Links = power.
Although it is important to have a good number of backlinks to your site to improve rankings, it is also important that they are high quality and relevant. When it comes to links, quality can often outrank quantity.
If the links back to your pages are low quality, this may have no effect on rankings and therefore is essentially a waste of time. The same can be said for backlinks that have no relevance.
The exact number of backlinks required is a grey area and will often be difficult to say until a site audit has been carried out.
A site audit would assess the following:
Once we have assessed the above, it will generally be clear to see why your competitors are appearing higher in Google and securing more work.
External backlinks are a key way to increase your digital reputation. They will strengthen your site and where it appears in google searches.
If done correctly an external backlink can power up your website bypassing authority through to it.
If backlinks are used incorrectly, it can either have no effect on rankings or be seen as spammy by Google. This could result in the penalisation of your site which will harm your efforts to become number one for key terms.
If you do not have enough backlinks to build the authority on your website you are fighting a losing battle.
Links are key too better rankings in the google search results.
Alternatively, we can arrange a free site audit if you comment with your domain and keyword below.
All Link Building Related Posts
Check out the in-depth list of link building posts.
- Aberdeen SEO Link Building Agency
- Agency Backlinks With James Gregory
- Birmingham SEO Link Building Agency
- Blackpool SEO Link Building Agency
- Bradford SEO Link Building Agency
- Brighton SEO Link Building Agency
- Bristol SEO Link Building Agency
- Buy Niche Edits Wholesale Backlinks
- Cardiff SEO Link Building Agency
- Coventry SEO Link Building Agency
- Cybersquatting - Stay Clear of Trademark Domains
- DFY Link Testimony | Link Building Recommendation
- Dundee SEO Link Building Agency
- Falkirk SEO Link Building Agency
- Guest Post Guide
- How Building Citations Can Improve Your Link Building
- Is a Mention as Powerful as a Backlink?
- Leeds SEO Link Building Agency
- Leicester SEO Link Building Agency
- Link Building Agency
- Link Juice Backlinks Guide
- Link Whisper Review
- Liverpool SEO Link Building Agency
- London SEO Link Building Agency
- Manchester SEO Link Building Agency
- Newcastle SEO Link Building Agency
- Niche Edit Contextual Backlinks
- Norwich SEO Link Building Agency
- Not Enough Backlinks
- Not Enough Relevant Backlinks
- Oxford SEO Link Building Agency
- Plymouth SEO Link Building Agency
- Press Release Service
- Preston SEO Link Building Agency
- SEO Backlink Audit - Soft Surfaces
- SEO Backlink Audit – Advansys Website Design
- SEO Backlink Audit – Boomtown Bingo
- SEO Backlink Audit – HLR LOOKUP
- SEO Backlink Audit – SEO21
- SEO Backlink Audit – WJ UK
- Sheffield SEO Link Building Agency
- Sunderland SEO Link Building Agency
- Swansea SEO Link Building Agency
- The Acquisition Link Building Method
- The Auto Disavow Headfuck
- Too Many Homepage Links
- Too Many Low Quality Backlinks
- York SEO Link Building Agency
- Checking for a Perfect SEO Link Profile
- Silo Structure Internal Linking
- Blog Commenting Advanced Guide For SEO
- How To Get Links From Wikipedia
- Creating Your SEO Link Building Team In House
- SEO Link Building – What You Should Demand
- Using Broken Link Building for SEO
The full list shows the various backlink strategies for ranking higher in Google SERPs.