The relevancy of a backlink is determined by how closely the content on the page relates to yours. This will be determined by the surrounding content on the page it is coming from.
For example: If you have a page talking about hair products linking to a page on horse racing, this carries zero relevance and therefore will not improve the rankings, even if it is from a high authority domain.
If a backlink is from a site with good domain authority and the content matches your niche, this will be considered as a great link to power up your rankings.
Relevancy in your link profile is key in ensuring all your site gains natural authority from other domains.
Non-relevant backlinks are pretty much zero value and if you have too many of these, you may be penalised by Google.
It is a mixture of quality, quantity, and relevance that is most important to ensure you outrank your competitors in search engine results.
In contrary to popular belief, links are still one of the main ranking factors in SEO and therefore must be taken seriously. Backlinks are an easy way for Google to assess how good your website is for user experience. If you have many relevant backlinks back to your site, Google will definitely take this into account.
Although it is difficult to put an exact number on this, a good starting point would be to have more relevant backlinks than your competition.
Relevant links that are of high quality will pass authority through to your site and ensure it sits better in the rankings.
By doing competitor analysis, it is easy to see how many additional backlinks are required to become number one in your niche. The main aim is to ensure Google sees your site as a high authority within the niche you are going after.
Relevancy is important when you are looking to grow your link profile.
Why would non-relevant websites link to your domain in the first place?
If you want better Google website positions you need to find the most relevant sites to your niche.
Costs of buying third-party tools and getting non-experienced staff to try this will cause you more issues than help.
Topical Trust Flow Links
The topical trust flow is a term to explain the authority that a link can pass to your site. The more relevant a page is in relation to yours, the more topical flow it will pass through.
It is also worth looking at how any referring domains a page has before requesting a backlink. If a website has many referring domains on top of very relevant content, it can be considered an excellent opportunity to gain topical flow.
There are a few points that you should consider when you want to increase topical flow to your site:
- If it is a choice between many satisfactory backlinks or one high authority backlink, the high authority link would always be the better choice. Nowadays it is all about quality over quantity.
- The links need to be niche relevant to increase topical flow.
- The correct use of internal links can improve the trust flow of your site. ‘Correct’ being the keyword.
- Always keep the topical trust flow in mind. You should have a higher concentration of authoritative links compared to your competitors. The number of relevant backlinks will outweigh the number of low-quality links and pass more authority to your site.
By understanding how search engine algorithms work, it is possible to outrank your competitors by taking advantage of topical trust flow.
Any backlinks that are considered relevant and of high quality will dramatically improve your standings on google.
The flow metrics are calculated using a specialist algorithm to determine exactly what is needed to rank your website.
As we are constantly reviewing and auditing backlink profiles we seem to find the same problems occur.
On top of not having enough relevancy in the backlinks here are some other common issues we find:
- Lacking Quantity of Backlinks or Having Zero Links to the Money Site
- Over Optimised Having Too Many Homepage Backlinks (high chance PBN filter being applied)
- High Number of Backlinks Deemed Zero Value to the Money Site
Check these other 3 common problems out many money sites come across after having a link audit.
If you are wondering the best techniques to audit your current link profile you would need the following:
- A trained SEO to understand how to analyse the profiles
- Specific tools like AhRefs and Majestic SEO which are paid subscriptions
- Time to dig into the problems your website is not performing as it should
Alternatively, if you leave a comment on this blog we will carry out a completely free link audit for you.
All you need to do is a comment with the domain and keyword you want to check on why you are not ranking.
Then we will respond and create you a free of charge backlink audit with solutions to remedy your current situation.
All Link Building Related Posts
Check out the in-depth list of link building posts.
- Aberdeen SEO Link Building Agency
- Agency Backlinks With James Gregory
- Birmingham SEO Link Building Agency
- Blackpool SEO Link Building Agency
- Bradford SEO Link Building Agency
- Brighton SEO Link Building Agency
- Bristol SEO Link Building Agency
- Buy Niche Edits Wholesale Backlinks
- Cardiff SEO Link Building Agency
- Coventry SEO Link Building Agency
- Cybersquatting - Stay Clear of Trademark Domains
- DFY Link Testimony | Link Building Recommendation
- Dundee SEO Link Building Agency
- Falkirk SEO Link Building Agency
- Guest Post Guide
- How Building Citations Can Improve Your Link Building
- Is a Mention as Powerful as a Backlink?
- Leeds SEO Link Building Agency
- Leicester SEO Link Building Agency
- Link Building Agency
- Link Juice Backlinks Guide
- Link Whisper Review
- Liverpool SEO Link Building Agency
- London SEO Link Building Agency
- Manchester SEO Link Building Agency
- Newcastle SEO Link Building Agency
- Niche Edit Contextual Backlinks
- Norwich SEO Link Building Agency
- Not Enough Backlinks
- Not Enough Relevant Backlinks
- Oxford SEO Link Building Agency
- Plymouth SEO Link Building Agency
- Press Release Service
- Preston SEO Link Building Agency
- SEO Backlink Audit - Soft Surfaces
- SEO Backlink Audit – Advansys Website Design
- SEO Backlink Audit – Boomtown Bingo
- SEO Backlink Audit – HLR LOOKUP
- SEO Backlink Audit – SEO21
- SEO Backlink Audit – WJ UK
- Sheffield SEO Link Building Agency
- Sunderland SEO Link Building Agency
- Swansea SEO Link Building Agency
- The Acquisition Link Building Method
- The Auto Disavow Headfuck
- Too Many Homepage Links
- Too Many Low Quality Backlinks
- York SEO Link Building Agency
- Checking for a Perfect SEO Link Profile
- Silo Structure Internal Linking
- Blog Commenting Advanced Guide For SEO
- How To Get Links From Wikipedia
- Creating Your SEO Link Building Team In House
- SEO Link Building – What You Should Demand
- Using Broken Link Building for SEO
The full list shows the various backlink strategies for ranking higher in Google SERPs.
- 1 What Is a Relevant Backlink?
- 2 Is the Relevance of Backlinks Important?
- 3 How Many Relevant Backlinks Do You Need?
- 4 How to Find Niche Relevant Backlinks?
- 5 Topical Trust Flow Links
- 6 Other Backlinks Articles You Might Find Interesting
- 7 How to Audit Not Enough Relevant Backlinks?
- 8 All Link Building Related Posts