SEO as a profession is the best job in the world.
But why can ‘SEO for Clients’ be a completely different subject matter?
Let me explain how Client SEO can be hard work because of the unrealistic goals set by clients.
Can I Do SEO for your Company?
Absolutely, definitely NOT!!
Why you might ask?
Here are the reasons not to carry out SEO for clients websites:
- When you take on a client you end up mentoring them and being their consultant
- Clients think they know best after reading a 2010 moz article which now makes them the expert
- SEO allows you to work anywhere in the world – but clients restrict these wanting monthly meetings
- SEO allows you to work whatever hours you prefer – but clients prevent this giving times for conference calls
- It is one of the only professions you feel the need to spend hours explaining the work you are doing instead of physically doing it
- Creativity and testing is important – but clients want instant results don’t give the time needed
- You find yourself explaining everything you are doing probably because they have been stung before by previous bad companies
This might sound harsh but generally, the so-called guru’s who carry out client SEO work usually are crap.
Fingers Burnt Outsourcing SEO
Here are the reasons outsourcing SEO might be failing for you:
- Why would a good SEO work for you on a wage and not on their own websites
- The best SEOs will rank their own affiliate sites or lead generation websites
- SEOs start out in client SEO to learn the trade wasting clients budgets
- No legislation or regulations yet so any non-qualified marketer can brand themself a guru or specialist
There is an ongoing joke in digital communities that the failed affiliate marketers either carry out client SEO or sell the 7 figure dream SEO course.
“Those who can does; those who cannot, teaches”
The industry needs a cleanup and clients need to stop wasting money after being sold the dream, forcing them to invest and waste a lot of money.
You Need To Understand What You Are Ordering
Many SEO Clients have Unrealistic Goals in thinking you can get websites position one in the google search results within weeks.
Although this can be achieved in easier long-tail key phrases if you do keyword research properly then the more competitive niches cannot be done so quickly.
Please do not be that annoying client in the future and be one of those SEO Clients with Unrealistic Goals
If you are new to hiring SEO agencies, I would suggest reading the intro to SEO article. This explains the basics to search engine optimisation showing basic information with regards to on-page content techniques to explaining how link building helps the authority of the sites.
Can you get me #1 on Google?
One of the first questions from company owners is “Can you get me #1 in Google?”.
This is obviously everyone’s goals but be mindful it cannot be rushed.
Building too many links in a very fast time can actually harm your website and link velocity needs to be a gradual growth.
Google needs to combat spam and websites trying to manipulate the search engine results.
So blasting 5000 backlinks in a short space of time is just going to highlight to google an unusual spike which will just end up a negative result to ranking positions.
Have a watch of this funny piss-take video of a client with unrealistic goals:-
Anyone with an understanding of SEO will know this client in the video is clueless and wants something which you cannot achieve.
A fast way to guarantee clicks to your website is PPC which stands for pay per click.
This is a bidding war to advertise your website at the top as a google ad. The highest paying consumer basically gets the top advertisement.
Food For Thought
However, my personal thoughts are that it becomes very expensive. It is essentially just renting a space with no long term gains.
The minute you stop paying for the clicks your site is then nowhere to be seen.
SEO is a Long Term Game
If you are looking into hiring an agency, you need the mindset that SEO is a Long Term Game.
A good SEO company will want to build your brand, the trust of your website and give audits to fix your on-page issues like content and site loading speeds.
All these contribute to the algorithm to get you higher in the SERPs.
Long term if you hire a good search engine optimisation agency then you will rank organically.
You should also be able to rank/bank for many years.
Naturally, if your site is ranking higher in Google then you will get more clicks. This should lead to more enquiries and the more leads you generate, the more orders you should get.
Choosing the Right SEO Company
You will realise I keep saying a good SEO company will help you.
Choosing the right SEO company is vital!!
This industry is absolutely rife with cowboys claiming to be gurus and specialists. Most of these people have less than one year’s experience.
I mean ask yourself this question… Who is a guru in any niche with less than one years experience?
Outsourcing and Cost
When hiring these people to outsource your work for better rankings, do not just look at costs.
Don’t think ‘I’ll use a company who is £200 per month because Company B is £500 per month’.
There could be real fundamental issues as to why one is so much cheaper than the other.
Do Your Homework
Working out of a bedroom with little experience will lead to cheaper prices but these agencies really could cause your website more harm than good.
Trust me I learnt the hard way several times and I was the fool who compared prices and went with the cheaper quotes on a dozen occasions.
Spending over 6k a year and the website being in a worse position than when I started was not a nice feeling.
Effective Frequency Marketing
If you want to know how to choose the right SEO company then they really need to understand the future which is effective frequency marketing.
Ranking in web searches for the content on your website is a must!
But ranking images in Google search, videos in YouTube and ensuring people find you on social media is key too.
Building trust and brand awareness helps conversion so much more!
How Do You Know it’s the Best Agency?
Now you are expecting me to answer this question “How do you know its the Best Agency?”
The honest answer is it way too difficult to analyse but I will do my best!!
More Than One Way To Skin a Cat
There are many ways to skin a cat and that applies to techniques in SEO.
This makes it awfully frustrating for corporate businesses and commercial companies. You could actually be paying 5k per month to someone who is literally doing an hour’s work.
You really need to understand what our outsourcing search engine optimisation company is doing for their money.
There is no better way than learning digital marketing. That way you know exactly what you get for your money. Sign up here to the best SEO course online.
Case Studies The Way Forward?
Years ago I thought asking for previous case studies would be a great option.
Surely if they show you other companies they have helped and improved rankings on then you’ll feel more at ease?
I did this and was given dozens of case studies and examples. So I thought yes I have finally found the best one to meet my needs.
But how wrong could I be on nearly a dozen occasions?
What I realise is for every few case studies they show positive results on there will probably be many more where they have failed and driven negative results. But they will never show you any of these obviously.
Sorry for the negativity on this but I am trying to highlight to you that you really need your wits about you.
You need to understand some SEO before outsourcing this because otherwise, I feel you will simply get robbed blind.
I have learnt the hard way and from this built my own team in Cheshire, UK to do a lot of work. We now outsource to well over a hundred virtual assistants we have trained up.
Why I Stick To Affiliate Marketing
Here is an example article of why I tend to stick with affiliate SEO as opposed to client SEO.
Carrying out regular meetings, having long chats on the phone to explain the links you have built and creating reports you will want all takes time and my time is COSTLY.
You honestly get clients thinking they understand best SEO practices and ask questions like this:
Lead Generation Affiliate Model
I generally am only doing affiliate marketing as opposed to SEO services to businesses in the UK and the only service I provide is looking into supplying a no risk supply of enquiries.
This method eliminates clients ringing to mither me with regards to what I am doing.
There is no need to ask questions on the rankings and details of why I have built websites in a certain way. This deal is not open to everyone and is generally only set up to people I like or a niche I am interested in doing.
In your spare time look into SEO and learn yourself the basics.
Network with others in the industry and ask for referrals because then you will understand what you are paying for.
You don’t just go buying a car without checking the specification and researching.
So why do you expect to just buy SEO without looking into this in detail?
All SEO Related Posts
Check out the in-depth list of SEO posts.
- Ahrefs Review - Best SEO Tool
- Advanced Reddit SEO Guide
- Content Plan Roadmap
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- CTR SEO
- Content Cannibalisation Google Penalty
- Costs of SEO Services for Businesses
- Expired Domains Aftermarket
- Engagement Rank - SEO Click Through Rate Traffic
- Google Dance Algorithm Examples
- Google Fresh Content Ranking Factor
- Google Bot Crawl Budget Optimisation
- Google Dance - Explanation to Jumps in SERPs Ranking
- How to Improve Google Search Results
- How to Scale Website Content With SEO Writers?
- How to Maximise Your Instagram Account
- How I Became a Digital Nomad
- iGaming SEO
- Is SEO Dead
- Is Linking Out Useful For SEO?
- Introduction to Search Engine Optimisation
- LinkedIn Prospecting Guide
- Onpage SEO Content Checklist
- Organic SEO vs PPC vs Hybrid
- OnPage Content Latent Semantic Indexing
- SEO Client Referral
- SEO Content Audit Guide
- SEO For Images - Visual Search Ranking Factors
- SEO Mastermind Work Retreats
- Surfer SEO Review
- SEO Beginners Work Experience
- SEO Clients Unrealistic Goals
- Signal Boy To Increase Real Social Signals
- Technical SEO Checklist
- Traffic Delivery Network via Social Media
- Topical SEO - Create Supporting Articles
- The Future of SEO - Effective Frequency
- The Three Search Engine Keyword Types
- Tips For Optimising Your Images for Technical SEO
- Why Become an SEO?
- Why Do Relationships Between SEOs and Clients Fail?
- Best SEO Training Course Online
- Best Keyword Research Techniques
- Future Tense Anchor Text SEO Technique
- Ranking YouTube Videos
- Ranking Using Distances in Web-Link Graph
- Maximise Your Tumblr Profile
- Maximise your Pinterest Profile
The full list shows the various SEO strategies to help your online marketing knowledge grow fast in January 2020.
- 1 Can I Do SEO for your Company?
- 2 Fingers Burnt Outsourcing SEO
- 3 You Need To Understand What You Are Ordering
- 4 Can you get me #1 on Google?
- 5 SEO is a Long Term Game
- 6 Choosing the Right SEO Company
- 7 Outsourcing and Cost
- 8 How Do You Know it’s the Best Agency?
- 9 Case Studies The Way Forward?
- 10 Why I Stick To Affiliate Marketing
- 11 Lead Generation Affiliate Model
- 12 Conclusion
- 13 All SEO Related Posts