Live The Moment – It Is All About The Journey Not The Outcome
In recent years I have experienced a lot of life lessons which you can read here on this Digital Nomad Life Lessons article.
I started to understand what actually makes me happy and to stop chasing this never ending dream. I used to dream about buying a really nice red Ferrari and live in a mansion but actually quickly realised that does not make you any happier.
A few of my friends are multi-millionaires and have all these materials people could only dream of. Yet they are depressed and not happy because it did not give them the feeling they thought it would.
In fact, one friend said, “I got a bigger buzz and excitement when I was 19 and bought my Fiesta RS Turbo than I did when I bought my 300k brand new Ferrari”.
Stop Chasing Perfection and Enjoy The Journey
When you are trying to improve your life that is great. But do not let perfection be the enemy of good because what is perfection.
If your bank balance is perfection then money is numbers and numbers never end. If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end. Here is a great image with the paradox of our age and chasing dreams.
Travelling and Memories
Travelling while you are young enough to enjoy it is key. As we grow older, and hence wiser, we slowly realise that wearing an £8000 or a £10 watch – they both tell the same time.
If you are in love with the idea of travelling and want to make money whilst doing it, you might want to think about becoming a digital nomad.
Whether we carry a £500 or a £20 wallet – the amount of money inside is the same. If we drink a bottle of £400 or £40 champagne – the hangover is the same.
If the house we live in is 200 or 6000 sq. ft. – loneliness is the same. Whether you drive a £2000 Ford or a £95000 Ferrari – they both serve the same purpose.
You will realise, your true inner happiness does not come from the things you buy but from experiences and memories you create.
“Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show“
True happiness is when you have mates, buddies and old friends, brothers and sisters, parents, who you chat with, laugh with, talk with, have sung songs with and created those memories with.
Majority of these experiences come from travelling. Personally, all my best memories are when I do something new like travelled and experienced a new culture or gone of a stag party with a group of close friends.
New Generation of Youngsters – Millennials
The youngsters of today are very much different from previous. I personally see this so much within my football team and see a general lack of respect for the elderly which never used to be the case.
The commitment to turn up every week is not there and everything is too easy nowadays to just quit. Back in the day youngsters would hang around and fight for their position, earn respect and realise you are not going to make an instinct impact.
Social media and the internet for myself has made me a lot of money. (It could earn you money too – just read the introduction to Search Engine Optimisation and you will be on you way to earning the big bucks from behind your computer screen.) However, the introduction of this digital era has killed relationships, friendships and ability to actual speak with fellow humans.
It is so sad to see the lack of communication nowadays as people do everything through their phones now. Social and communication skills are worse than ever and watch this video which I feel will open so many peoples eyes:
The millennials are the generation of people born after the year of 1984. People often accuse this group of being tough to manage and having a sense of entitlement.
For anyone unsure on what entitlement is then ‘the definition of entitlement is: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges). A sense of entitlement complex is linked with narcissism and borderline personality disorder.’
In psychiatry, we use the term “sense of entitlement” to describe the outrageous attitude of some of our more narcissistic clients. They believe that the world “owes” them and they want to collect NOW.
Why Millennials are Different?
So why do the younger generation now aka millennials feel this way. Is it a lack of parenting and mothers/fathers saying their kids could be anything they want to be.
Does that educate the millennials to feel that life owes them something? When I was brought up I was educated to work hard and graft for the nicer things in life.
The best advice my dad always gave me was never to chase money – I love this phrase :
“Money is numbers and numbers never end. If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end”
Do not chase the perfect life because there is no such thing. You live in the perfect life today so appreciate everything you have. Sounds daft but when you turn the tap and clean water flows out, be grateful for it. There are many countries where people would dream for something as simple.
Being grateful will allow you to enjoy your life today and not keep chasing the unknown. We tend to forget happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have but rather recognising and appreciating what we do have.
Undeniable Facts Of Life
Below is seven undeniable facts of life we need to realise and appreciate. In life, if you work hard you create your own luck and do not just believe being lucky is instilled into people.
You cannot win the raffle if you have not bought a ticket. So get out there and purchase as many tickets you can. While you are sleeping or watching TV others are grafting or creating those happy memories. The 7 undeniable facts are :
- Don’t educate your children to be rich. Educate them to be happy. So when they grow up they will know the value of things not the price.
- Best awarded words: “Eat your food as your medicines. Otherwise you have to eat medicines as your food.”
- The One who loves you will never leave you because even if there are 100 reasons to give up he or she will find one reason to hold on.
- There is a big difference between a human being and being human. Only a few really understand it.
- You are loved when you are born. You will be loved when you die. In between, You have to manage!
- If you just want to Walk Fast, Walk Alone! But if you want to Walk Far, Walk Together!
- One thing guaranteed in life is death. So live every single day as if it is your last!
I personally love travelling and because of this become a digital nomad so am able to work while venturing around the world. When people create wish lists then mine is mainly to places I have never been because love experiencing new cultures.
My wish list quote is – I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list of things to do. One of the great things about travelling the world is that you find out how many good, kind people there are on earth.
It will surprise you once you get yourself out of watching the news which is full of war, bad press and depressing stories. For that reason, I try to not read newspapers or watch the news.
Time is the Best Xmas or Birthday Present
When it comes to Christmas, birthdays, valentines day or anniversaries then I personally do not go out purchasing expensive bags, jewellery or gifts for the mrs or family.
OK hit me with the comments saying ‘Dooley you tight arse’ haha. No but the reasoning behind this is because the most expensive present I could give to anyone is my time and creating memories and therefore that is what I would prefer to do.
This is the complete opposite to being in the workplace where I want to save as much time and effort by delegating work at possible. A well know saying to do with this is :
“We don’t buy things with money, we buy them with hours of our lives”
The one thing you cannot purchase in life is time. Time is against us all and therefore living each day as your last is a must.
Ask yourself if you died today then have you lived your life to the maximum? Or have you kept trying to build the perfect life for tomorrow.
There is no point being ‘the richest man in the graveyard’ so spend your money on memories with people you love.
Fear Of Death
As upsetting as this sounds but when your time is up then your time is up. You could be 3 years old and hit by a bus or 50 years old and hit with cancer.
However, life goes on and I am sure we all have a sad story of how we are hard done by. Maybe because we lost our mum, dad or best friend in such drastic circumstances (I certainly used to think this way for years when I lost my father who was my best friend). But save your story for X Factor because they love stuff like that.
Stop beating yourself up and make the most of your own life today. Go see your old best friends you have not seen for a year or a family member who was once close to you. Hold no regrets and build up your memory bank TODAY – not tomorrow.
“The Fear of Death is Worse than Death Itself”
Living in fear of dying is pointless and you are wasting your life away. I start to embrace death and think at least I can finally chill and get some sleep instead of living my hectic lifestyle lol.
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A person who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. Here is a nice poem I like to believe and hopefully our loved ones are looking over us and helping with our every move:
“Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us everyday. Unseen unheard but always near, Still loved still missed and very dear. Death leaves a heartache, no one can heal, Love leaves a memory, no one can steal.”
Every minute you spend mourning the past or feeling upset about history you are wasting about changing your future. Today you are creating your history and you write your own memories from what you physically do today.
Do not get me wrong and graft hard in work and do not be lazy so it sets you up to live a nicer more lucrative life tomorrow but only you know deep down whether you are creating all those memories you will be proud of on your death bed.
Have you created a wish list you want to achieve this year and worked towards fulfilling this. If not why?
Health is Wealth
Having a healthy balanced lifestyle is crucial. Here is a list of things below I feel everyone needs in their life to maintain health:
- Sun – Human skin can make large amounts of vitamin D with high exposure when the sun is high in the sky. Your body is designed to get the vitamin D it needs when your bare skin is exposed to sunlight.
- Exercise – One of the most important parts of keeping your body at a healthy weight. Exercise helps people lose weight and lower the risk of some diseases. Exercising to maintain a healthy weight decreases a person’s risk of developing certain diseases. Some of these include Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Diet – Controls weight, improves your mood, combats diseases, boosts energy and helps make you live longer are just a few reasons why a well-balanced diet is so important
- Rest – Improves memory, live longer, lower stress. Just a few of many advantages to making sure you do not burn yourself out. Rest and sleep are certainly an important part of your life.
- Synergise – Networking and synergising improves self-confidence and reduces stress levels. So one of the most important parts of life in my opinion is synergising.
- Friends – Laughter and banter with friends certainly reduces your stress levels and helps you switch off from problems. Friends are a huge part of your life so go the extra mile for them. You never know when you will need them in return.
Maintain these above in all stages of Life and enjoy a healthy life. The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for. We start to realise in life what makes us happy and are wiser to chasing a never-ending dream.
The best part to take from this blog is to ask yourself ‘What are you doing today to make your life better and creating a memory to tell your friends and grandkids about?’
All Entrepreneurship Related Posts
Check out the in-depth list of entrepreneurship posts.
- About James Dooley
- Be Positive To All Your Problems
- Ben Proctor - The Digital Workshop
- Biggest Cities in UK
- Bolt on Wealth Acquisition Strategy
- Can I Interview You To Share on My Podcast and Social Media?
- David Goggins
- Death By A Thousand Cuts
- Digital Nomad Life Lessons
- Digital Real Estate
- Eliminate Single Points of Failure
- Elliot Preston - The Digital Workshop
- Encourage Learning In The Workplace
- Entering Entrepreneurship - The Digital Workshop
- Facts About Entrepreneur
- FightMediocrity Review
- Flow State Of Mind - How To Stay Focused?
- Getting Featured in Google News
- If you are the best in the room you are in the wrong room
- Invest Into Digital Assets
- Live The Moment - It Is All About The Journey Not The Outcome
- Living a Laptop Lifestyle
- Make Money Online - Are You Crushing It?
- Money Vs Happiness
- Move With The Times - DEAL WITH IT
- Online Reputation Management
- Rank and Rent
- Real Entrepreneurs Stay Clear of Multi-Level Marketing
- Reputation Management Agencies
- Road to Failure - Lame Excuse "Too Busy"
- Roll Up Investments
- SEO Joint Ventures
- TAKE ACTION - You Create Your Own Luck
- The Change House Model - Get On The Foooking Roof
- The Digital World
- The World Is My Office
- Wasted Time is Worse Than Wasted Money
- What is a Digital Landlord?
- Why Networking is Vitally Important
- Work Life Integration
- Work Smarter Not Harder
- Work With The End In Mind
- You Don't Know What You Don't Know
- Your Brain is Your Bitch
The full list shows the entrepreneurship articles to help you widen your knowledge.
Our aim to explain and educate from a basic level to an advanced on SEO and Social Media Marketing.