Using Broken Link Building for SEO
We all know that trying to develop a successful outreach and backlink strategy can be difficult and time-consuming. Sometimes it’s impossible to know where to start with trying to find other blogs and websites within your niche to link back to your content.
However, there are a number of techniques which you can use to start on an outreach strategy. The first method we’re going to look at is broken link building.
Broken Link Building
The technique of broken link building consists of finding websites and blogs which are relevant to your niche and then finding any outbound links which may be broken or linking to companies who are no longer in business. Blog commenting can also be used in an attempt to build links.
But how does finding these broken links help you and your website? Imagine you’re in the sports surfacing industry and you find a link to a page which should be about, for example ‘artificial grass’, but the link is broken. You can contact whoever is in charge of the site and ask them to replace the link with one to your own content.
It’s important that you have a good quality website with fresh and unique content. This way the sites you find will actually want to link out to you. No one wants to link to a poor quality site with bad content.
Finding the Broken Links
With any broken link building strategy, it’s important to use the right tools to help you find relevant sources and then locate any broken links these sites might have. There are a number of tools you can use to carry out your broken link search. Some options are Google Chrome’s ‘Check My Links’ Extension and Moz’s Open Site Explorer.
The tool we usually use for this is Screaming Frog which enables you to analyse different onsite elements of websites and lets you export the data you find into an excel spreadsheet. Another useful tool which can be used to locate broken links and analyse the link profile of different websites is Xenu’s Link Sleuth.
This is a free tool which can help find duplicate content problems. It can also locate the pages with the most outbound links and the ones which are the furthest within your site. It even does the job of finding any broken links from other sites and your own. The Xenu tool runs through Microsoft Windows. It enables the user to get a better understanding of the structure of their own website, or their competitors’ websites.
These tools will help you find broken links on websites within your niche. They help you decide if you have any content which could replace the pages that the broken links point to.
Do You Want a Link from These Sites?
Before you start asking for links from anyone, there are some things to be aware of. You need to make sure that you’re going to contact websites which are reliable and have good page ranks etc. If the website has a nice design and has a good social media presence, it’s likely that they’re a reliable source for their niche. This means a link from them will benefit your own site.
However if the site has a lot of outbound links which look spammy and there aren’t any social media accounts or shares, don’t bother asking for a link from them.
Once you’ve found a site with a broken link you think you can replace, you need to get in contact with the webmaster. You can do this through email or by social media like Twitter and LinkedIn. Let the webmaster know that there are some dead links on their site. Then suggest that you have content to replace the broken links with.
We are always happy to hear your thoughts on our posts, so please do give us your feedback.
Have you ever tried a broken link building strategy? What are your tips for success?
Let us know what you think in the comments and please share this post if you found it helpful!
All Link Building Related Posts
Check out the in-depth list of link building posts.
- Aberdeen SEO Link Building Agency
- Agency Backlinks With James Gregory
- Backlink Atrophy
- Best Place to Buy Backlinks
- Birmingham SEO Link Building Agency
- Blackpool SEO Link Building Agency
- Blog Commenting Advanced Guide For SEO
- Bradford SEO Link Building Agency
- Brighton SEO Link Building Agency
- Bristol SEO Link Building Agency
- Cardiff SEO Link Building Agency
- Coventry SEO Link Building Agency
- Creating Your SEO Link Building Team In House
- Cybersquatting - Stay Clear of Trademark Domains
- DFY Link Testimony | Link Building Recommendation
- Dundee SEO Link Building Agency
- Falkirk SEO Link Building Agency
- Guest Post Guide
- How Building Citations Can Improve Your Link Building
- How To Get Links From Wikipedia
- Is a Mention as Powerful as a Backlink?
- Leeds SEO Link Building Agency
- Leicester SEO Link Building Agency
- Link Building Agency
- Link Juice Backlinks Guide
- Link Whisper Review
- LinkResearchTools Review
- Liverpool SEO Link Building Agency
- London SEO Link Building Agency
- Manchester SEO Agency
- Newcastle SEO Link Building Agency
- Niche Edit Contextual Backlinks
- Norwich SEO Link Building Agency
- Not Enough Backlinks
- Not Enough Relevant Backlinks
- Omega Indexer
- Oxford SEO Link Building Agency
- Plymouth SEO Link Building Agency
- Press Release Service
- Preston SEO Link Building Agency
- Ranking Using Distances in Web-Link Graph
- SEO Backlink Audit - Soft Surfaces
- SEO Backlink Audit – Advansys Website Design
- SEO Backlink Audit – Boomtown Bingo
- SEO Backlink Audit – HLR LOOKUP
- SEO Backlink Audit – SEO21
- SEO Backlink Audit – WJ UK
- SEO Link Building – What You Should Demand
- Sheffield SEO Link Building Agency
- Silo Internal Linking
- Sunderland SEO Link Building Agency
- Swansea SEO Link Building Agency
- The Acquisition Link Building Method
- The Auto Disavow Headfuck
- Too Many Homepage Links
- Too Many Low Quality Backlinks
- UK SEO Domains by Premium Domain Names
- Using Broken Link Building for SEO
- Wiki Wookiee Review
- York SEO Link Building Agency
The full list shows the various backlink strategies for ranking higher in Google SERPs.
Our aim to explain and educate from a basic level to an advanced on SEO and Social Media Marketing.