Tips For Optimising Your Images for Technical SEO
The main focus on optimising your images for technical SEO is making sure they are not uploaded too large to slow sites down.
Below are techniques and tips to optimise your images on your website to improve site speed and have technical benefits.
Reduce Image Size in KB
Reducing the image size is a great technical SEO strategy you should be doing. Reducing the size of your images makes the website load speed to be faster.
You’ve still got to make sure the quality of the pictures is good.
But cropping the photo and compressing to the lowest size in KB is key to faster loading pages which helps to rank in the google search.
Here is a video which shows how you can bulk resize images when saving them onto your desktop before uploading any to make sure you are not uploading pictures larger than 1mb in size:-
Lossy Compression Algorithms
When it comes to image compression for websites many people choose to use Lossy compression algorithms. You may be wondering what Lossy compression is; it is basically one way of reducing the file size of an image or piece of audio significantly. However, when using Lossy you may notice a slight loss of quality.
Lossy can be used for a number of files including JPEG and GIF. When compressing an image using Lossy some data from the original file is lost. This is irreversible. Presently, you may be able to find some tools which allow you to reverse the compression – the Imagify WordPress Plugin for example. When you use Lossy it is important to make sure the code isn’t altered.
Since Lossy can alter the quality of the image, it is important to find the right balance between quality and size. The quality loss will alter with the ratio of compression; therefore make sure you only compress the image to the maximum it can go before the loss in quality is noticeable.
Lossless Image Compression
As an alternative to Lossy, some people may decide to use Lossless image compression. This is slightly different from Lossy, as no quality is lost when using this type of algorithm. With Lossless you can slightly decrease the size of a file without losing the quality of the image. This is done by removing unnecessary meta data from the files.
However, there is a downside to Lossless. Since the quality remains the size of the file is not as small as it would be if it was compressed using Lossy. Therefore you will have to decide whether quality or file size is more important.
Obviously, someone showing off photography skills will require high-quality images – and so should use Lossless. If you are putting the images on a site and the site speed is important, you might want to consider Lossy.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Lossy and Lossless Compression
As with any algorithm, there are advantages and disadvantages of Lossy and Lossless compression.
Advantages of Lossy
- Significantly reduces file size
- You can choose the degree of compression
- Lots of tools, plugins and software support it
Disadvantages of Lossy
- Quality loss with a higher ratio of compression
- Cannot get original back after it has been compressed
Advantages of Lossless
- There is no quality loss
- You are able to restore compressed data
Disadvantages of Lossless
- Larger files after compressing when compared to Lossy
Overall you can see advantages and disadvantages for both. It is important to decide which one would suit you more. For many companies, they are able to sacrifice slight loss of quality in order to lower their file size and speed up their website. It is up to you which you think is more important.
Online Image Compressor
When looking for an online image compressor you need to be sure what you want to use. Do you want a Lossy compressor or a Lossless compressor? There are a number of different compressors which you can find online which offer a good service. Some of the online compressors we have used include compressor.io, compressjpeg.com and online-image-editor.com.
We would highly recommend having a look at a few different online image compressors to see which you prefer to use. All are quite different but basically do the same thing. So it is whatever suits you best.
Compress Image to 10KB Online
Depending on the size of the current image and the quality you are hoping to achieve it is be possible to compress an image to 10kb online. Rather than trying to make your image as small as possible, we would recommend compressing to the lowest possible file size at the most reasonable quality.
When uploading an image to your site, you will want the page to load quickly but you will also want the consumer to like your site. If the site runs very quickly but has low-quality images it makes your company look unprofessional. While it is possible to compress images to 10kb online, we would recommend testing the files on image compress sites to see how small you can make the image without making it look of poor quality.
Online Photo Resizer in KB and Pixels
There are plenty of online photo resizers in KB and pixels online. We would highly recommend compressjpeg.com, as this allows JPEG images to be compressed quickly and easily. You are able to alter the size of the photo without losing quality too much when using this tool.
When using tools like compress JPEG and compressor.io you can save hundreds of KB which will really improve the speed of your site and save space on your computer or shared drive. If you are thinking about
Having a technically fast website will help you rank better in the future.
Site speed also helps with conversion so optimising your images is key.
Please let us know what you think of this post. There are plenty of different ways to carry out SEO for images to help boost your page rankings.
Be sure to tell us if you have any more tips for optimising your images as we’d love to hear what works for you!
All SEO Related Posts
Check out the in-depth list of SEO posts.
- 3k ODYS Gambling Site Live Case Study
- A Fair Comparison Between SEO Crawlers: JetOctopus and Screaming Frog
- Accidental Keywords
- Accuranker Review
- Addiction Treatment SEO Services
- Advanced Reddit SEO Guide
- Aged Domain Case Study
- Ahrefs Review - Best SEO Tool
- AI Copywriting Software
- AI in SEO
- AutoSuggest.Me Review
- AwayGrounds ODYS Live Case Study
- Babylon Traffic Review
- Bad Links - Identifying Toxic Backlinks
- Best Freelancer Marketplace
- Best Keyword Research Technique
- Best Rank Tracking Tools
- Best SEO Training Course Online
- Brand SERP SEO
- Brand SERPs Course
- Calculate Your Organic SEO CTR Manipulation
- Clearscope Review
- Cluster AI Review
- Co-Occurrence SEO
- Cognitive SEO Review
- Common Issues During Server Log Analysis
- Content Briefs
- Content Cannibalisation Google Penalty
- Content Expansion
- Content Plan Roadmap
- Content Pruning Case Study
- Content Strategist
- Content Team
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- ConversionAI Review
- Costs of SEO Services for Businesses
- CTR Geeks Course
- Custom Regex In Google Search Console
- Diib Review
- DO NOT SAY You Got To Test It
- EEAT Quality Rater Guidelines
- EEAT SEO
- Engagement Rank - SEO Click Through Rate Traffic
- Expired Domains Aftermarket
- Explanation to Jumps in SERPs
- Featured Snippets
- Fiverr Freelancer Marketplace Review
- Focus Keyphrase
- Frase Review
- Freelancer.Com Review
- Future Tense Anchor Text SEO Technique
- GeneratePress Review
- GMB Everywhere Review
- Google Bot Crawl Budget Optimisation
- Google Dance Algorithm Examples
- Google Fresh Content Ranking Factor
- Google My Business SEO Case Study
- Grammarly Review
- GROW FLOW – Surfer’s AI Growth Management Platform
- Hemingway App Review
- Heropost Review
- Holistic SEO
- How I Became a Digital Nomad
- How Often Does Google Crawl Your Site?
- How to Do Affiliate Marketing on Twitter the Right Way
- How to Improve Google Search Results
- How to Maximise Your Instagram Account
- How to Scale Website Content With SEO Writers?
- iGaming SEO
- Impressionz Review
- Information Gain SEO
- Internal Linking SEO Case Study
- Introduction to Search Engine Optimisation
- Is Linking Out Useful For SEO?
- Is SEO Dead
- IT IS ONLY A PROBLEM, WHEN IT IS A PROBLEM - AND THEN IT IS TOO LATE
- JetOctopus Review
- Keyword Chef Review
- Keyword Clustering
- Keyword Cupid Review
- Konker Freelancer Marketplace Review
- LeadSnap Review: The Ultimate Rank & Rent Tool for SEOs and Marketers
- Legiit Freelancer Marketplace Review
- Link Building Case Study
- LinkedIn Prospecting Guide
- Linkio WP Roundup Lists Plugin Review
- Listicle Roundup SEO
- Local Falcon Review
- Local Viking Review
- Magic Page Plugin Review
- Marketing Miner
- MarketMuse Review
- Mass Page Builder
- Maximise your Pinterest Profile
- Maximise Your Tumblr Profile
- My Content Pal Review
- Negative SEO Case Study
- NitroPack Review
- Omega Indexer
- On Page SEO Case Study
- On-Page.ai Review
- One Page For One Corpus
- OnPage Content Latent Semantic Indexing
- Onpage SEO Content Checklist
- Organic SEO vs PPC vs Hybrid
- OutRanking Review
- Page ReWriter Review
- Passage Ranking
- People Per Hour Freelancer Marketplace Review
- Personalized Google Search Results
- Pro Rank Tracker Review
- Progressive Content Optimisation SEO
- Quillbot Review
- Rank and Rent Case Study
- Rate My Business Review
- Reviews To Improve Your Online Reputation
- Rytr AI Writer Review
- SE ranking review
- Search Engine Manipulation Effect
- Search Engines
- Search Intent
- Searcharoo Review
- Semrush Review
- SEO Beginners Work Experience
- SEO Case Studies
- SEO Client Referral
- SEO Clients Unrealistic Goals
- SEO Content Audit Guide
- SEO Content Optimization Tools
- SEO Content Writers
- SEO For Accountants
- SEO For Boiler Companies
- SEO For Debt Help Companies
- SEO For Dentists
- SEO For Images - Visual Search Ranking Factors
- SEO For Insulation Companies
- SEO For Mortgage Brokers
- SEO For Solar Companies
- SEO for Solicitors, Barristers & Law Firms
- SEO Hidden Agenda
- SEO Mastermind Work Retreats
- SEO PowerSuite Review
- SEO Ranking Drop
- SEO Testing Review
- SEOClerks Freelancer Marketplace Review
- Serpstat Review
- SerpWatch Review
- SERPWoo Review
- Signal Boy To Increase Real Social Signals
- Social Media Management Tools
- SparkTraffic Review
- Striking Distance Keywords
- Surfer Local Review
- Surfer SEO Review
- Technical SEO Checklist
- Text Structure
- The Future of SEO - Effective Frequency
- The Guide To YouTube SEO Ranking
- The Three Search Engine Keyword Types
- Tips For Optimising Your Images for Technical SEO
- Tools to Assist Your GMB Local SEO
- Topical Authority Case Study
- Topical SEO - Create Supporting Articles
- Traffic Delivery Network via Social Media
- Triggering Google Suggests
- Twitter Moments
- Ultimate Guide to GMB SEO
- Upwork Freelancer Marketplace Review
- Vettted Freelancer Marketplace Review
- Video Veggie Review
- Web Copy Masterclass Review
- Website Architecture
- Website Content Uploader
- What Industries Need SEO the Most?
- What Should I Do After a Google Algorithm Update or Google Organic Traffic Drop?
- Whatsmyserp Review
- Why Become an SEO?
- Why Do Relationships Between SEOs and Clients Fail?
- Wildcards in Google Search: Everything You Need to Know
- Wincher Review
The full list shows the various SEO strategies to help your online marketing knowledge grow fast in January 2023.
Our aim to explain and educate from a basic level to an advanced on SEO and Social Media Marketing.